An abacus for the TI-84. Math inception!

Screenshot of Abacus program in TI-Basic, by TaterTomorrow
    A joke turned into a reality. What person from circa 1200 AD would think that their modern method of rapidly adding and subtracting numbers could ever be replicated on a machine that effectively does that tens of thousands of times per second? No one. But this is a thing that exists now. The program even includes a little counter at the bottom of the screen to track how many beads are on the right side, one step up from our ancestors.

    This joke program took me roughly two-and-a-half hours to create, debug, and optimize. It was time well spent, because I have already gotten four people to download it on the Cemetech forums, 55 karma on Reddit, and the Hugz award from Everyday Code (thank you)! I used TokenIDE and WabbitEmu to write the program and execute the code, respectively. I took the screenshot inside the emulator.

     I will keep all of you guys posted on my future program ideas and releases. Had this been a larger project that consumed multiple days or weeks of my life, I would have made multiple posts to help you keep track of my progress. My next program ideas are a slide rule and Turing machine. I don't know if I have the experience to do it all in TI-Basic, though. Feel free to test out the program by downloading and transferring it to your calculator, and you giving an review or rating is always appreciated! Thank you for taking the time to read through this unknown person's blog, and have a splendid day.

The program files are available for download on: TICalc    Cemetech

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello, World!